Skip to main content

The Power of Discipline

You would be amazed if I told you that discipline will get you where you want to go. As a twenty-five year-old who’s working full time (from home these days during lockdown!) and managing a few other things I’m passionate about, I have noticed that if one thing helped me achieve something I really wanted, that one thing is discipline.

Consistency is key

Be it work related, fitness-related or any other goal you want to achieve, you need to be focused and do what you have to do when you have to do it. Consistency is key and your actions don’t necessarily have to be mind-blowing or extra-significant to have an impact. In contrast, if you keep doing little things that help you get closer to what you want such as reading one chapter of a particular subject a day, doing 25 push-ups every morning, going for that relaxing weekend jog or spending time with your beloved family, these little actions will add up over time to create a very positive impact in your life as well as the lives of the ones you love.

Try it out

Sometimes we are forced to be discouraged with our efforts because the results (expectations) which we often link to our efforts don’t show in the short term (for some of us short term means a day or two). The trick is to be consistent in the things you do and consciously look back at where you started versus where you are now after a reasonable time. I will leave you to decide what “reasonable time” means to you, but for me, one week, bi-monthly or even monthly spans work fine.

Seeing is believing

The reasonable amount of time lapsed allows for the results of your efforts to be more visible. The feeling of satisfaction is great and this provides the catalyst for motivation within you to keep going. For example, after a week you will realize that you have covered 5 chapters (way more than you thought you could) or you noticed that your muscles are more toned now after a two-week-long routine of 25 push-ups a day. 


Reward yourself 

Seeing the results of your efforts is truly amazing and this is a form of FREE motivation that you can generate for yourself and trust me it’s 100% authentic because it’s what you have done for yourself!


Now let that fire in you propel you forward!💪


visit my blog for more!
Don't forget to share with friends ðŸ˜Š

Mahen Brendon Makalande
Sri Lanka
Email me at – mahenmakalande94@gmail.com

Comments

  1. Right on - good read! We tend to seek instant gratification instead of putting in the hard work. This does not help us reach our true potential. Disciplines keeps us focused and in check with our goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy and this is essential for sustainable success in anything. You know more about this than me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

A looming energy crisis or one step closer to sustainability?

The impact would be devastating if we don’t prepare for what I am going to tell you about. This is just a thought that came to my mind while I was peering out of my window one hot sunny morning during lockdown (29 th of April 2020 to be precise). I was procrastinating every time my mind told me that I should put my phone and laptop to charge and it so happened that we lost the electricity supply for a short time. My mind was full of regrets now. Thankfully though, the electricity came back within minutes. Putting this into perspective The household energy and water consumption levels are probably at extremely high levels with all family members forced to stay home due to Covid-19. You cannot deny the fact that the majority of us rely on our electronic devices such as our “can’t do without mobile phones”, laptops, TVs, fans, air conditioning (If we are lucky), Wi-Fi routers, etc. etc. I am not going to ask you whether you can afford to do without any one of the

Fashion Designer Minnelli Abayaratna on The Importance of Supporting Local Brands

As a fashion designer, I strongly believe we have to be aware of the story behind products and the people who are involved in the process of its production . Having been involved in the fashion industry for a number of years, I’ve gathered experience in a start-up and a few of the more recognised labels in Sri Lanka . Since we are now facing a pandemic on a scale that we haven’t seen the likes of for more than a century I thought it was important for me to talk about the importance of supporting local brands. I want to share the story behind my favourite type of fabric to work with. It is that of the handloom textile. The history behind traditional handloom weaving in Sri Lanka dates back to the times of the Indian Prince Vijaya and quite possibly before that. It is said that upon his arrival on the island in 543 BC, he witnessed a woman called Kuveni from the indigenous race “Yaksha Gothra” spinning yarn - she would go on to be his wife. The local handloom industry acquir

Expressing Yourself With Your Car | Part 1 | Easy

Whether you drive a Maruti or the most expensive car in the World, there's a way you can create a character of its own to reflect your tastes, preferences and attitude. When this is done, there's no longer a "Maruti" or a "most expensive car in the World", but rather a "one-of-a-kind ride" which is truly yours and can be differentiated from the rest! In this article I will give you some tips on how you can enhance the apperance of your vehicle while being on a budget! Expressing Yourself We all crave to be different, to express ourselves, to be unique etc. Some do this by way of fashion, singing, gymming, sports and many other ways, but some do it using their cars. I really find it fascinating as to how creative people can get and how they could transform the look of an average car into something so special and unique. Once Upon A Time Since 2003 (when the 9 year old me started to realize that car modifications aren't limited to PC games such a