Skip to main content

Expressing Yourself With Your Car | Part 1 | Easy



Whether you drive a Maruti or the most expensive car in the World, there's a way you can create a character of its own to reflect your tastes, preferences and attitude. When this is done, there's no longer a "Maruti" or a "most expensive car in the World", but rather a "one-of-a-kind ride" which is truly yours and can be differentiated from the rest!

In this article I will give you some tips on how you can enhance the apperance of your vehicle while being on a budget!

Expressing Yourself

We all crave to be different, to express ourselves, to be unique etc. Some do this by way of fashion, singing, gymming, sports and many other ways, but some do it using their cars. I really find it fascinating as to how creative people can get and how they could transform the look of an average car into something so special and unique.

Once Upon A Time

Since 2003 (when the 9 year old me started to realize that car modifications aren't limited to PC games such as NFS), I figured even I can do it right here in Sri Lanka or anywhere in the world. The only thing was I was nine years old and did not have any money to do so. Unlike the current context, we also didn't have many car mod shops around either. Hence, I understand if anyone did not care much about enhancing the apperance of their cars back then.

Things have changed now and the "Car Culture" is pleasingly evident in this beautiful Island. There is an array of car mod shops which do apperance enhancements at reasonable rates.



A few tips from a car fanatic to you on how you can express yourself using your car (with very little money spent)

Identify an expression you like to show in your car

Sounds crazy but it can be Aggression, Sportiness, Refinement, Simplicity or anything you can imagine. Based on the selection of choice the colours you use and the accessories that should be considered would vary.



For example, I like to express agression and refinement through my cars and this is what I did to my 2016 Renault KWID RXT. That's why most of the time I try to colour my alloy wheels in black (any garage would paint your rims for you and it won't cost you more than LKR 10k to 15k) and blacken the front grille (again can be doné for about LKR 5k to 10k). I have also used a Gloss black wrap/sticker on the roof to add a more elegant look (this too can be done for around LKR 15k and will link the shop I get my car stuff done from)

1) Roof and/or Bonnet wrap - this can enhance and completely change the boring look of your ride. I got mine done at CarStudio down Hilstreet, Dehiwala and trust me they do a great job (I am not someone who can be satisfied easily)



2) Alloy Wheels + Contrasting paint job - A good set of alloy wheels would cost you around LKR 45k (13") and above based on the brand and rim size. If you got some extra cash, this is really a great investment if you are looking to refresh the look of your car. Unless you find the wheels in exactly the colour you want, consider getting them painted also before you fit it onto your car. This will save you time and effort.



I got my alloy wheels from JJ Lanka, Mount Lavina and they have an array of Rims which will interest you for sure. Always consider something strong and light as heavier the rim, lower the fuel efficiency (not much but good to keep in mind) due to the added weight 

3) Blacken the front Grille - This can completely change the look of your car too. You won't regret it ;)


Based on your feedback, I am ready to help you with some free consultancy on apperance enhancement for your car. So you know how to reach me - leave a comment and I will get back to you!

More tips and tricks will follow in my next article! For now though, take care, drive safe and do share pictures of your modifications if this article influenced you to do some changes to your car. 

You might also like >>Part 2 of this article!

Thank You!






Comments

Post a Comment

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

A looming energy crisis or one step closer to sustainability?

The impact would be devastating if we don’t prepare for what I am going to tell you about. This is just a thought that came to my mind while I was peering out of my window one hot sunny morning during lockdown (29 th of April 2020 to be precise). I was procrastinating every time my mind told me that I should put my phone and laptop to charge and it so happened that we lost the electricity supply for a short time. My mind was full of regrets now. Thankfully though, the electricity came back within minutes. Putting this into perspective The household energy and water consumption levels are probably at extremely high levels with all family members forced to stay home due to Covid-19. You cannot deny the fact that the majority of us rely on our electronic devices such as our “can’t do without mobile phones”, laptops, TVs, fans, air conditioning (If we are lucky), Wi-Fi routers, etc. etc. I am not going to ask you whether you can afford to do without any one of the

Fashion Designer Minnelli Abayaratna on The Importance of Supporting Local Brands

As a fashion designer, I strongly believe we have to be aware of the story behind products and the people who are involved in the process of its production . Having been involved in the fashion industry for a number of years, I’ve gathered experience in a start-up and a few of the more recognised labels in Sri Lanka . Since we are now facing a pandemic on a scale that we haven’t seen the likes of for more than a century I thought it was important for me to talk about the importance of supporting local brands. I want to share the story behind my favourite type of fabric to work with. It is that of the handloom textile. The history behind traditional handloom weaving in Sri Lanka dates back to the times of the Indian Prince Vijaya and quite possibly before that. It is said that upon his arrival on the island in 543 BC, he witnessed a woman called Kuveni from the indigenous race “Yaksha Gothra” spinning yarn - she would go on to be his wife. The local handloom industry acquir