Skip to main content

The Mercedes Benz Experience | Dimo 800 | Sri Lanka


As an avid car enthusiast, I saw an opportunity when I heard that my friend Praveen Fernando joined the state-of-the-art Mercedes Benz Sri Lanka showroom (run by Dimo 800) as a Sales Consultant. He followed his passion for cars and gets to be with them most of the day!

I so badly wanted a tour around the facility and told my friend about this. He was more than glad to invite me over. I even applied for leave (during the busiest times) to experience the new showroom!

I remember driving to the location, and I was stunned seeing the architecture of the building with a massive structure of the “three-pointed star” badge right on top of the roof.

Feeling at home

I wasn’t going to buy a car that day although I do aspire to someday in the future. My friend was to meet me in 10 minutes (I was 30 minutes early as usual) and I sat down in the customer lounge overlooking an array of brand new Mercedes cars and SUVs. I was given a nice cup of coffee and was so lovely to see the Mercedes Logo floating on top of it!

Excitement is brewing

Soon after I posted some snaps of this on my Instagram story, I was greeted by my friend. He said to me, “Oh there’s so much I have to show you, follow me”. I was so excited and we started off in the workshop area where multiple cars were being repaired or restored.

Speed Thrills

Then we walked up to a Black CLA 45 AMG with black rims and some bright yellow highlights (which also had a handcrafted engine!) and to my surprise, I was getting a ride in it! We drove around the premises while I was in the passenger seat. It was a monster and the speed of it just blew me away. Although we sped down a short and narrow stretch, the acceleration was out of this world! Got me laughing like an idiot 🤦 (I was actually freaking out) 😏


Fancy and Powerful

After that we went into the Showroom where I posed in front of every possible Merc that caught my eye. I kid you not but I posed in front of all! There was a beastly CLS 53 in matte grey and black rims that looked so inviting. My friend started it up and allowed me to rev it. Needless to say, I was awestruck.

Old is Gold

We then went to see some used cars which DIMO 800 sells as “Certified” used cars. There was a classic ML 350 that caught my eye. It was old but gold in its rare deep bluish-green colour.

Blast from the past

Afterward, we had a look at some of the vintage models that were there on display. They still stood with pride among the futuristic-looking three-pointed stars!

Up Close

During my tour, my friend was kind enough to open the doors to every single car I wanted to get inside and check. He even gave me a quick brief on the cars like I was his customer. No wonder he bagged in a couple of Awards. For example, he received the Gold Award for the Best Sales Executive (Automotive Sector) at the SLIM NASCO Awards in 2018 for his performance  and also was recognized as the "Best Contributor" in the Dimo cluster which includes Mercedes Benz, Jeep and Chrysler for 2018/19. 🏆

Futuristic

I remember checking out the newly-arrived A-Class and its voice command options which I hastily captured on my Instagram story that day.

A Happy "Customer"

Realizing that I had already spent close to three hours at the showroom and my friend had to protect his job too (haha) I thanked him sincerely and left reluctantly. Not to mention that I had a convocation to attend on that day too! I guess this shows what passion can force you to do.
Me with my friend


I was smiling all the way during my drive back from the facility. It was truly an amazing experience and I would relive it all over again given the chance!

Best Or Nothing! (this ain't a paid advertisement!)

Do share this article if you enjoyed it &follow/subscribe to my Blog for more 😊

Mahen Brendon Makalande
Sri Lanka

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

A looming energy crisis or one step closer to sustainability?

The impact would be devastating if we don’t prepare for what I am going to tell you about. This is just a thought that came to my mind while I was peering out of my window one hot sunny morning during lockdown (29 th of April 2020 to be precise). I was procrastinating every time my mind told me that I should put my phone and laptop to charge and it so happened that we lost the electricity supply for a short time. My mind was full of regrets now. Thankfully though, the electricity came back within minutes. Putting this into perspective The household energy and water consumption levels are probably at extremely high levels with all family members forced to stay home due to Covid-19. You cannot deny the fact that the majority of us rely on our electronic devices such as our “can’t do without mobile phones”, laptops, TVs, fans, air conditioning (If we are lucky), Wi-Fi routers, etc. etc. I am not going to ask you whether you can afford to do without any one of the

Fashion Designer Minnelli Abayaratna on The Importance of Supporting Local Brands

As a fashion designer, I strongly believe we have to be aware of the story behind products and the people who are involved in the process of its production . Having been involved in the fashion industry for a number of years, I’ve gathered experience in a start-up and a few of the more recognised labels in Sri Lanka . Since we are now facing a pandemic on a scale that we haven’t seen the likes of for more than a century I thought it was important for me to talk about the importance of supporting local brands. I want to share the story behind my favourite type of fabric to work with. It is that of the handloom textile. The history behind traditional handloom weaving in Sri Lanka dates back to the times of the Indian Prince Vijaya and quite possibly before that. It is said that upon his arrival on the island in 543 BC, he witnessed a woman called Kuveni from the indigenous race “Yaksha Gothra” spinning yarn - she would go on to be his wife. The local handloom industry acquir

Expressing Yourself With Your Car | Part 1 | Easy

Whether you drive a Maruti or the most expensive car in the World, there's a way you can create a character of its own to reflect your tastes, preferences and attitude. When this is done, there's no longer a "Maruti" or a "most expensive car in the World", but rather a "one-of-a-kind ride" which is truly yours and can be differentiated from the rest! In this article I will give you some tips on how you can enhance the apperance of your vehicle while being on a budget! Expressing Yourself We all crave to be different, to express ourselves, to be unique etc. Some do this by way of fashion, singing, gymming, sports and many other ways, but some do it using their cars. I really find it fascinating as to how creative people can get and how they could transform the look of an average car into something so special and unique. Once Upon A Time Since 2003 (when the 9 year old me started to realize that car modifications aren't limited to PC games such a