Skip to main content

Studying vs Learning | Is It The Same Thing? | Let's Find Out!


Remember the times we memorized the content of our school subjects just days before term tests began? Our only focus was to remember as much as we can so we could answer all the questions in the exam and get the highest possible results or “Just to pass”. Most of you must be remembering the brilliant “hand gestures” you and your pals used during MCQ exams to gather the answers for questions that made you go “what on earth does that mean!?”. Those were the times, weren’t they?

Many years have passed now and most of us may be pursuing higher education, working, or even contemplating what we want to do in life. However, there’s something important (in my humble opinion) should grab your attention. This can be an insight that will help you or your juniors in doing better in life.

Studying

Cramming, cramming, cramming, and cramming to pass an exam. Is what it means to most. Even I am guilty of studying a certain subject just for the “sake of it” or just to pass an exam. Why? Because at the time more than understanding WHY I am studying something or WHY it is important to me and part of the education in school, I was interested in getting exams over with so I could play all day with friends – sending kites, riding bicycles, climbing trees and playing computer games. Hence, to be honest, I never really understood HOW what I was studying could help me at any point in life. 

Modern-day Distractions

After all, why we are educated is so that we could live a better life in harmony with others right?
Fast forward a few years, maybe still the desire to understand the importance of studying hasn’t hit you. Plus, with all the distractions out there how could we even concentrate right!? “I hope my new profile picture will be a hit” or “I hope She/He replies positively” are the thoughts that build an empire in our heads these days. I don’t blame you, but remember, balance is important.

Balancing Act

Balance your education and social life. Education is what has helped most successful people in the world. By “Education” I don’t only refer to getting paper qualifications, but also to the burning thirst for self-learning which can be quenched if you merely visit a library or go on Youtube to research topics that interest you. Focus on adding value to yourself. Remember, knowledge is power, and how you use it matters!

Learning

How do I make that boundary between studying and learning? I look at it this way; you may be studying for an exam and while browsing through the study material, you come across a rather murky area which you don’t understand at all. “If I go in-depth and TRY to understand this area, I am sacrificing the time I had set aside for my exam preparation or content consumption” is what I used to think.This is true, however, there’s nothing like making the effort to make sense of something that does not. Learning is all about going that "Extra mile".

It's a Process

This process of asking questions adds so much to your knowledge and as a result you attain lasting knowledge with you that you don’t necessarily have to “Study” to explain the concept to anyone, you then would be able to logically apply that learning to real-life scenarios

Now this is what sets you apart from the rest. So go out there and start adding value to yourself! 💪



Don't forget to share with friends ðŸ˜Š

Mahen Brendon Makalande
Sri Lanka

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

A looming energy crisis or one step closer to sustainability?

The impact would be devastating if we don’t prepare for what I am going to tell you about. This is just a thought that came to my mind while I was peering out of my window one hot sunny morning during lockdown (29 th of April 2020 to be precise). I was procrastinating every time my mind told me that I should put my phone and laptop to charge and it so happened that we lost the electricity supply for a short time. My mind was full of regrets now. Thankfully though, the electricity came back within minutes. Putting this into perspective The household energy and water consumption levels are probably at extremely high levels with all family members forced to stay home due to Covid-19. You cannot deny the fact that the majority of us rely on our electronic devices such as our “can’t do without mobile phones”, laptops, TVs, fans, air conditioning (If we are lucky), Wi-Fi routers, etc. etc. I am not going to ask you whether you can afford to do without any one of the

Fashion Designer Minnelli Abayaratna on The Importance of Supporting Local Brands

As a fashion designer, I strongly believe we have to be aware of the story behind products and the people who are involved in the process of its production . Having been involved in the fashion industry for a number of years, I’ve gathered experience in a start-up and a few of the more recognised labels in Sri Lanka . Since we are now facing a pandemic on a scale that we haven’t seen the likes of for more than a century I thought it was important for me to talk about the importance of supporting local brands. I want to share the story behind my favourite type of fabric to work with. It is that of the handloom textile. The history behind traditional handloom weaving in Sri Lanka dates back to the times of the Indian Prince Vijaya and quite possibly before that. It is said that upon his arrival on the island in 543 BC, he witnessed a woman called Kuveni from the indigenous race “Yaksha Gothra” spinning yarn - she would go on to be his wife. The local handloom industry acquir

Expressing Yourself With Your Car | Part 1 | Easy

Whether you drive a Maruti or the most expensive car in the World, there's a way you can create a character of its own to reflect your tastes, preferences and attitude. When this is done, there's no longer a "Maruti" or a "most expensive car in the World", but rather a "one-of-a-kind ride" which is truly yours and can be differentiated from the rest! In this article I will give you some tips on how you can enhance the apperance of your vehicle while being on a budget! Expressing Yourself We all crave to be different, to express ourselves, to be unique etc. Some do this by way of fashion, singing, gymming, sports and many other ways, but some do it using their cars. I really find it fascinating as to how creative people can get and how they could transform the look of an average car into something so special and unique. Once Upon A Time Since 2003 (when the 9 year old me started to realize that car modifications aren't limited to PC games such a