Skip to main content

How to get over the Fear of Public Speaking | Part 1


Are you crazy?? I can’t do that! is probably what you say when someone asks you to speak in front of an audience. I don’t know about you, but that’s exactly how I felt when the Warden handed me the Bible when I was walking into Chapel on my very first day of College. I was fifteen (2011) and moved from my previous school to the new one in order to complete 3 years of “Advanced Level” education. The Warden who was a Christian priest I had known for a while was quite the jovial type too. He was also known as, "Father Dushy" (Dush - ee)

Grab The Opportunity

I immediately said to him, “Father, I can’t, I don’t even know the reading”. In response, he gestured to me that it’s no big deal. Now just minutes away from my turn at the lectern in front of hundreds of students to read the scripture, I was nervous as ever. However, I thought to myself that I should give it a try anyway!

Take That First Step

My main worry was that I will mispronounce something and that I would make a complete mockery out of myself (because I am a perfectionist.. sigh). I was as cold as an ice cube because I was super nervous. However, I told myself, “This is for Jesus!” and went ahead and read the scripture. I had to stutter along the way, but the “never-ending” few minutes did come to a stop and I was relieved!

It can be Life-Changing

This, to be honest, was one moment in my life that was the stepping stone for many things I’ve accomplished along the way. You’d be surprised to know that I ended up preaching in Chapel (occasionally) after this incident. Once you get over the first hurdle, nothing can stop you. The confidence boost is immense and what it does to you as a person is unspeakable.

Face Your Fears

Mistakes are meant to be made and there’s no reason to be embarrassed about them (although I always overthink about how I could have said something more fluently etc.). This feeling is normal and make sure you keep a note of the areas you could do better at and motivate yourself to do better at your next opportunity.

Make Your Mark

Most people perceive you as “brave” or “confident” purely because you had the courage to go up on stage and speak before a crowd. This can go a long way. Maybe you can impress a potential employer. They may perceive you as the “right fit” for a particular job and even hire you afterwards!

Self-Motivate yourself

I still remember how I started a course called “Speechcraft” offered by Toastmasters International and which is a programme focused on building effective public speaking skills (back in 2015). Weeks later, I took on the role of “topics master” at the head table during the finale of this course and the guest of honour, Mr. Hasitha Premaratne who was (and still is) the CFO at one of the leading apparel manufacturing companies in Sri Lanka in his speech said, “I see so many leaders here” and pointed at me. It sounds really petty, but that had a major impact on me and it motivated me to do even better in life.

Master It

It’s no longer a process for me now. It’s normal to speak in front of a group of senior individuals such as directors or CEOs or even a bunch of unruly kids. As long as I am confident about what I want to say and I’ve done my homework, I don’t feel nervous anymore! At least not as much as I used to!

Remember - practice makes perfect! So get some of your friends or family to listen to you while you prepare or you can imagine an audience in front of you when you practice. It really helps to ensure that you cover the entire audience (when you are really doing your speech) so while you speak you may find a few people who seem really interested in what you are saying. Try and find one of those people from the left, right, and center of the room and switch eye contact regularly. Thereby you will be able to feel more comfortable and the audience will feel as if you are speaking to each one of them.


Await More on This Topic!

Now that you get the gist of it, I will release part 2 of this topic which will go into a bit more detail on aspects you really want me to cover (preparation and execution). So do let me know in the comments what you want me to cover in my next article on Public Speaking.

C’mon now, SPEAK UP! 😎


Do share this article if you enjoyed it & follow my blog ðŸ˜Š

Mahen Brendon Makalande

Sri Lanka

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

A looming energy crisis or one step closer to sustainability?

The impact would be devastating if we don’t prepare for what I am going to tell you about. This is just a thought that came to my mind while I was peering out of my window one hot sunny morning during lockdown (29 th of April 2020 to be precise). I was procrastinating every time my mind told me that I should put my phone and laptop to charge and it so happened that we lost the electricity supply for a short time. My mind was full of regrets now. Thankfully though, the electricity came back within minutes. Putting this into perspective The household energy and water consumption levels are probably at extremely high levels with all family members forced to stay home due to Covid-19. You cannot deny the fact that the majority of us rely on our electronic devices such as our “can’t do without mobile phones”, laptops, TVs, fans, air conditioning (If we are lucky), Wi-Fi routers, etc. etc. I am not going to ask you whether you can afford to do without any one of the

Fashion Designer Minnelli Abayaratna on The Importance of Supporting Local Brands

As a fashion designer, I strongly believe we have to be aware of the story behind products and the people who are involved in the process of its production . Having been involved in the fashion industry for a number of years, I’ve gathered experience in a start-up and a few of the more recognised labels in Sri Lanka . Since we are now facing a pandemic on a scale that we haven’t seen the likes of for more than a century I thought it was important for me to talk about the importance of supporting local brands. I want to share the story behind my favourite type of fabric to work with. It is that of the handloom textile. The history behind traditional handloom weaving in Sri Lanka dates back to the times of the Indian Prince Vijaya and quite possibly before that. It is said that upon his arrival on the island in 543 BC, he witnessed a woman called Kuveni from the indigenous race “Yaksha Gothra” spinning yarn - she would go on to be his wife. The local handloom industry acquir

Expressing Yourself With Your Car | Part 1 | Easy

Whether you drive a Maruti or the most expensive car in the World, there's a way you can create a character of its own to reflect your tastes, preferences and attitude. When this is done, there's no longer a "Maruti" or a "most expensive car in the World", but rather a "one-of-a-kind ride" which is truly yours and can be differentiated from the rest! In this article I will give you some tips on how you can enhance the apperance of your vehicle while being on a budget! Expressing Yourself We all crave to be different, to express ourselves, to be unique etc. Some do this by way of fashion, singing, gymming, sports and many other ways, but some do it using their cars. I really find it fascinating as to how creative people can get and how they could transform the look of an average car into something so special and unique. Once Upon A Time Since 2003 (when the 9 year old me started to realize that car modifications aren't limited to PC games such a