Skip to main content

Fitness is not what you think it is!

By popular demand, I decided that I need to put out an article related to fitness. So I caught up with one of my buddies I met in School almost a decade ago — Mushahid Munshif. He’s been so passionate about fitness over the past 10 years and has come a long way since the beginning of his fitness journey. His dedication and consistency towards what he was doing impressed me and I am sure it impressed everyone around him too. So I could not think of anyone better to collaborate with on this one!

A Fresh New perspective

Even I was mind-blown when he told me that, “Fitness is not just aesthetics, it’s much more than that. It’s about your physical and emotional well-being.” Come to think of it, this concept really makes sense. What’s the use of being the most physically fit, but not so good on the emotional side. What kind of impact would it have if you give your mental health an equal amount of attention too? This was truly an eye-opener.

However, another important point brought up was that Social Media gives us that added incentive to focus more on our physical appearance. It’s not a bad thing at all, but knowing that fitness does not mean you have a six-pack or something like that is important. It means that you are at your optimal health both physically and mentally.

Image for post

I am someone who loves the outdoor. I love hiking, cycling, swimming, and engaging in adventure sports like white water rafting, kayaking, canyoning, etc. I basically like to do whatever I feel like.

This is how who’s one of the best fitness coaches in the country describes his interests. Fitness is an important part of his life. Fitness is being physically fit as well as mentally sound for Mushahid, which I completely agree with! (we rarely agreed on anything back in school.. haha)

The Solution to the Problem

Image for post

We have in general become the “busiest” generation ever to live on planet earth. As we scramble for time, fitness may get sidelined. The common problem is that most people don’t have gym equipment at home, don’t have time to go to the gym, or even find it financially difficult to accommodate this desire.

When my friend was thinking about it, an apple fell on his head and he got this bright idea! Why not find a simple, practical, cost-effective, and permanent solution to this problem, and that he did.

He launched a social media page (link is at the bottom) dedicated to workouts that can be done at home by anyone, at any time, with anything available at home.

Fitness is Simple

Image for post

Most people think that fitness means strict schedules and diets. This deters quite a few of you who really want to make a difference in your fitness levels. However, I believe that fitness is a simple thing and you should not complicate it. You CAN ENJOY your workouts and live life to the fullest!

Six pack or Fries?

“What’s the point of having a six-pack if I can’t have the one food that brings me joy? Like fries!?” This is our fitness coach hinting to you that balance is important. It’s a basic concept almost always ignored. So, it is important for us to rethink our approach to fitness and become not only physically fit (like king Julian from Madagascar) but also in terms of emotional and mental well-being.

Free, Simple& Effective

Image for post

Gypsygym Fitness is the Instagram page started by Mushahid Munshif which is dedicated to anyone who’s interested in fitness and starting somewhere! He has dozens of clips that help you figure out the best combination of workouts for you at the comfort of your home.

He conducts LIVE sessions regularly too, and trust me they are good (probably the first time I am complimenting my friend.. haha).

So do check it out and give him a shout if you want any fitness-related programs done for you, your friends or even office colleagues!

I wish YOU and Musha all the very best in your Journey of Fitness! 💪

Written by Mahen Makalande with Fitness Coach Mushahid Munshif

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

A looming energy crisis or one step closer to sustainability?

The impact would be devastating if we don’t prepare for what I am going to tell you about. This is just a thought that came to my mind while I was peering out of my window one hot sunny morning during lockdown (29 th of April 2020 to be precise). I was procrastinating every time my mind told me that I should put my phone and laptop to charge and it so happened that we lost the electricity supply for a short time. My mind was full of regrets now. Thankfully though, the electricity came back within minutes. Putting this into perspective The household energy and water consumption levels are probably at extremely high levels with all family members forced to stay home due to Covid-19. You cannot deny the fact that the majority of us rely on our electronic devices such as our “can’t do without mobile phones”, laptops, TVs, fans, air conditioning (If we are lucky), Wi-Fi routers, etc. etc. I am not going to ask you whether you can afford to do without any one of the

Fashion Designer Minnelli Abayaratna on The Importance of Supporting Local Brands

As a fashion designer, I strongly believe we have to be aware of the story behind products and the people who are involved in the process of its production . Having been involved in the fashion industry for a number of years, I’ve gathered experience in a start-up and a few of the more recognised labels in Sri Lanka . Since we are now facing a pandemic on a scale that we haven’t seen the likes of for more than a century I thought it was important for me to talk about the importance of supporting local brands. I want to share the story behind my favourite type of fabric to work with. It is that of the handloom textile. The history behind traditional handloom weaving in Sri Lanka dates back to the times of the Indian Prince Vijaya and quite possibly before that. It is said that upon his arrival on the island in 543 BC, he witnessed a woman called Kuveni from the indigenous race “Yaksha Gothra” spinning yarn - she would go on to be his wife. The local handloom industry acquir

Expressing Yourself With Your Car | Part 1 | Easy

Whether you drive a Maruti or the most expensive car in the World, there's a way you can create a character of its own to reflect your tastes, preferences and attitude. When this is done, there's no longer a "Maruti" or a "most expensive car in the World", but rather a "one-of-a-kind ride" which is truly yours and can be differentiated from the rest! In this article I will give you some tips on how you can enhance the apperance of your vehicle while being on a budget! Expressing Yourself We all crave to be different, to express ourselves, to be unique etc. Some do this by way of fashion, singing, gymming, sports and many other ways, but some do it using their cars. I really find it fascinating as to how creative people can get and how they could transform the look of an average car into something so special and unique. Once Upon A Time Since 2003 (when the 9 year old me started to realize that car modifications aren't limited to PC games such a