Skip to main content

Finding Happiness In Adversity | Economy vs Sustainable Lifestyles

A bright sunny afternoon in 2019 took a 180-degree shift to become a dark, windy, and scary one in just a matter of minutes!I remember this day very well as we were enjoying an event celebrating the Sinhala and Tamil New year organized by CIM Sri Lanka.

We had perfect weather for an event like this (which started around 10 am that morning). But everything changed that afternoon. This is when I quickly snapped this picture!

The rain got us soaked while we danced to the music. It was not the ideal weather to have, but we decided to have fun anyway.I know what you're thinking. We secured our mobile phones by putting them into polythene bags and keeping them under a hut by the DJ!


The point I am trying to get at is that, you still can find happiness in adversity.

Economic Effects

I am sure you have heard enough about the adverse economic impacts that Coronavirus has and will bring about. Unemployment rates will soar, Gross Domestic Product or GDP (An indicator of the value of goods and services produced within the confines of a country) will dip, the health sector will feel the pinch of added burden, Stock Markets will have unforeseen impacts with investors scrambling to sell off their stocks before an apparent drop in the value of their stocks, etc.

I won't belittle the seriousness of these realities. However, I do want to bring your attention to something important - the good things which can come out of this crisis.

Lifestyle Changes

I have come to realize that I could still live comfortably without indulging in; expensive restaurant food, entertainment (night outs, outdoor events..), clothing, subscriptions, etc. etc. Surprisingly I have been able to manage this for over 50 days now and it feels normal. Of course, I do miss the social aspect and the fact that I cannot do my weekend drives, but at this point, the wisest thing is to make the most of what you have- using technology to stay connected with your friends and to help you get through each day.

Less Is More

Now that we have been able to live on less for over 2 months or so, we are better equipped to live within our means and at the end of the month "feel richer" because we have managed to cut down on unnecessary spending.

Spending Important For Economies To Grow

I am not advocating for all of us to cut down on everything we enjoyed before, because economies do thrive on consumer spending. What I am trying to promote is that now we have a chance to support our Local farmers, industries, products, and our very own people without relying on foreign products for all of our needs.

Support Local Industries

We should take steps towards understanding that our choices have an impact on several hundred (or more) people and hence should be wise enough to make decisions that support our local economy too (at the stage where they really need it).

With demand for local products going up, the local industries may have to scale-up and this means that it will create job opportunities, reduce unemployment rates and ease the burden of people who have been "buried" by debt.

Sustainable Change

It's important to understand that you can influence so many people with your actions (choices) and imagine the impact it could have due to its ripple-effects? Exponential!☝

Do share this article if you enjoyed it & follow my blog  ðŸ˜Š

Mahen Brendon Makalande
Sri Lanka





Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

A looming energy crisis or one step closer to sustainability?

The impact would be devastating if we don’t prepare for what I am going to tell you about. This is just a thought that came to my mind while I was peering out of my window one hot sunny morning during lockdown (29 th of April 2020 to be precise). I was procrastinating every time my mind told me that I should put my phone and laptop to charge and it so happened that we lost the electricity supply for a short time. My mind was full of regrets now. Thankfully though, the electricity came back within minutes. Putting this into perspective The household energy and water consumption levels are probably at extremely high levels with all family members forced to stay home due to Covid-19. You cannot deny the fact that the majority of us rely on our electronic devices such as our “can’t do without mobile phones”, laptops, TVs, fans, air conditioning (If we are lucky), Wi-Fi routers, etc. etc. I am not going to ask you whether you can afford to do without any one of the

Fashion Designer Minnelli Abayaratna on The Importance of Supporting Local Brands

As a fashion designer, I strongly believe we have to be aware of the story behind products and the people who are involved in the process of its production . Having been involved in the fashion industry for a number of years, I’ve gathered experience in a start-up and a few of the more recognised labels in Sri Lanka . Since we are now facing a pandemic on a scale that we haven’t seen the likes of for more than a century I thought it was important for me to talk about the importance of supporting local brands. I want to share the story behind my favourite type of fabric to work with. It is that of the handloom textile. The history behind traditional handloom weaving in Sri Lanka dates back to the times of the Indian Prince Vijaya and quite possibly before that. It is said that upon his arrival on the island in 543 BC, he witnessed a woman called Kuveni from the indigenous race “Yaksha Gothra” spinning yarn - she would go on to be his wife. The local handloom industry acquir

Expressing Yourself With Your Car | Part 1 | Easy

Whether you drive a Maruti or the most expensive car in the World, there's a way you can create a character of its own to reflect your tastes, preferences and attitude. When this is done, there's no longer a "Maruti" or a "most expensive car in the World", but rather a "one-of-a-kind ride" which is truly yours and can be differentiated from the rest! In this article I will give you some tips on how you can enhance the apperance of your vehicle while being on a budget! Expressing Yourself We all crave to be different, to express ourselves, to be unique etc. Some do this by way of fashion, singing, gymming, sports and many other ways, but some do it using their cars. I really find it fascinating as to how creative people can get and how they could transform the look of an average car into something so special and unique. Once Upon A Time Since 2003 (when the 9 year old me started to realize that car modifications aren't limited to PC games such a